Wednesday, April 17, 2013

You are not a mind reader

So stop acting like one!

This is a daily struggle I have begun to battle. I have found myself constantly telling myself what others are thinking of me. The thoughts aren't nice. Not only that - they are bullshit!

I have no idea what anyone thinks of me unless they tell me. I don't know if they even care that my belly hangs over the top of my jeans when I sit down. I don't know if they think that I dress childish. I don't know if they think that my "trying to be ombre but not quite nailing it" hairdo looks like shit - but I have told myself they do.

Why? I really have no idea, but I am determined to try to stop it - I want to feel beautiful. I want to be comfortable in my skin, my not so stellar hairdo, my favorite cardigan with a hole in it that I love so much I just can't get rid of, my stretch marks, my flabby areas - all of it - I want to love it all.

I have wasted so much time investing my thoughts in what other people think of me that somewhere along the line - all of the negative things I had created in my mind took over how I thought of myself. I have been so unfair not only to myself, but to everyone around me. If I continue to think that my friends are thinking awful thoughts about me - am I really going to be able to open up and fully engage in their friendship and companionship? Um...NO!


This video literally brought me to tears. I could identify with so much of this tainted self view. I want you to watch this video and think how you would describe yourself.

Apparently there is research out there stating that only 4% of women WORLDWIDE believe they are beautiful. 4%!!!!!! Does that number enrage you? It should! I may not have children of my own, but I have some amazing young women and girls in my life and if I could contribute to their life in any fashion - it would be teaching them to love themselves, and to believe in their own unique beauty.

I hope that each of you reading this feel the same because it DOES start with us - girls aren't born hating their bodies - they are taught to hate their bodies - I think it is time for a change in the lesson plans!

No comments: