Thursday, January 04, 2007

IUI here we come!

OK...so not PCOS, not CUSHINGS...we have no idea what the hell I have except for a hormone imbalance.
Thanks...I could have told you that 13 years ago.
Anywho...Dr. R suggests that we move forward with IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) Because my hormones are so wacky, trying to adjust them with just medicine may result in a spontaneous release of a huge amount of eggs and since Mr. Clinger has good swimmers, thus resulting in a pregnancy with multiples. Like...more than 2 or 3. Which would be very dangerous (And quite fitting according to Murphy's Law) for babies and me.
So...the game plan
Wait 2 weeks
Take a pregnancy test
If positive GAME OVER - I WIN!!
If negative-start Provera to bring on a period
On day 1 or 2 of period, have an ultrasound done to check for any cysts on the ovaries
If no cysts - start taking Femara on days 3-7 twice a day
Go in on Day 10 for ultrasound to check for follicles
If I have plenty of good strong follicles I will be instructed to give myself a shot of Ovidrel which will then tell my ovaries to release the follicles
36 hours later Mr. Clinger will "do his business" in a cup at Dr. R's office
The wash the sperm (to seperate it from the semen)
Then they inject the washed sperm in me
Wait two weeks
Take a pregnancy test
REPEAT AS NECESSARY
PRETTY ROMANTIC ISN'T IT?
Not quite what you thought when you thought of "making a baby" huh? No candles, no chocolate covered strawberries, no champagne
Just lots of eggs, clean sperm, a lot of stainless steel and an audience.

Life is a charm isn't it?

Don't get me wrong...I am so happy to have a game plan. I really am. It has been almost 2 years with no end in sight and now, at least I can take a pg test and actually know that there is a chance that it might be positive.
I am just so overwhelmed and this is not at all what I had expected!

1 comment:

Serenity said...

It's hard to process that initial idea that it's not going to be you and your husband having s.ex to get pregnant. Definitely loses some of the romance.

But hey, if it works it'll be worth it, no???

I am hoping for you hon!